foliageA Drive-It-Yourself Tour
October 1-20

Click on the following images for printable maps of the fall foliage tours.

foliageknox2011

Knox County Fall Foliage Trails

foliagewakatomica2011

Wakatomica Fall Foliage Trail

foliagemohican2011

Mohican Fall Foliage Trail

foliagemv2011

Mount Vernon Fall Foliage Trail

These maps are available on Adobe .pdf format for easy printing. If you do not have the FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, please click on the icon below to download it.

Get Adobe Acrobat Reader

When spring arrives, Knox County plans to usher in the season by highlighting the area's dogwood trees. The Knox County Visitors Bureau is continuing the traditional drive-it-yourself dogwood tours that have been popular since the early '60s.

The Mount Vernon and Knox County area has long been known for its abundance of dogwood trees. The flowering trees grow wild throughout most of the county, particularly in the hills of eastern Knox County where the trees are plentiful and noted for their extra large blooms. Entire hillsides can be found engulfed in a sea of white in early spring. Pink dogwoods are also prominent in this area and local residents report the "pink is more vibrant than any other you'll ever find."

Dogwood tours in Knox County first became popular in the 1960's. There were two routes: the Mohican Trail, north of Danville; and the Wakatomika Trail, south of Martinsburg. The "drive-it-yourself" tours took place every year, the second weekend of May, for more than 10 years.

While many local dogwoods are native to Knox County, most of those found within the Mount Vernon city limits have been planted in the past 30 years. More than 2,500 dogwoods trees have been sold by the Chamber of Commerce and the Convention and Visitors Bureau. Many of the dogwoods which line the city streets in Mount Vernon were purchased through these annual tree sales. The first dogwood sales began in the early 1960s when Jim Dally headed up the Chamber.

Tours are typically set for May 1st through the 20th and encompass Knox County and feature a route connecting the two Dogwood Trails in the eastern part of the county and the Dogwood Trail in Mount Vernon. The printed drive-it-yourself tour maps are available from the Visitors Bureau or via download below.

Download the following maps:
Knox County Dogwood Trails
Mohican Dogwood Trail
Mount Vernon Dogwood Trail
Wakatomica Dogwood Trail

These maps are available on Adobe .pdf format for easy printing. If you do not have the FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, please click on the icon below to download it.

Get Adobe Acrobat 
Reader

Where else can you go to find brick streets, historic homes, recreational trails, camping, elegant bed and breakfast inns, and stunning College campuses—all within reach of your home. You will be delighted when you come to our area to visit, whether it is for business or pleasure.

The 16th annual addition of our information and detailed experience guide marks the 21st year for the Knox County Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB).  Since thie experience guide magazine's creation in 1996, the CVB has distributed over 1,000,000 copies.

Here you will also find more information about our communities, educational institutions, services, and churches available in our area.  Make sure you visit our Connect With Us page for up-to-date videos of our area.  If the CVB can be of assistance, please contact us.

Enjoy all Knox County has to offer!

The following is excerpts from an article by Deborah Sue Briscoe of the Mound View Cemetery staff.

Mound View Cemetery, established in 1833, was named after an ancient Indian Mound located in the western part of the cemetery. Complete records of the cemetery plots were not kept until 1853. There are a few whose death dates occurred previous to 1833, however, it is believed that they were moved here from the Presbyterian Cemetery which was located at 105 East Chestnut Street.

According to Ms. Blanche George, a former clerk at the cemetery office from 1937 to 1947, there were no full-time clerks until a couple years before her coming to work at the cemetery. The sexton or superintendent maintained the records at that time. Many people who were important to local and national history are buried in Mound View. Some of the monuments, buildings, and important people are listed below.

(For a downloadable copy of the tour, click here.)

The Wild Men of Borneo - Hiram Davis - (1825-1905); Barney Davis - (1827-1912) These men were dwarfs who toured the country with the Barnum and Bailey Circus. They were billed as the twin sons of the Emperor of Borneo, the only "Wild Men" in captivity.

Soldiers Monument - This monument, located in the Soldiers Section of the cemetery, was presented by the Joe Hooker Post #21 around 1884, in exchange for a section of the cemetery to be used for the burial of veterans.

George D. Neal - The Neal Vault - (1844-1937) Neal was a prominent carriage manufacturer in Mount Vernon.

Chapel - This chapel was built about 1887 by O.W. Hubbel. He was paid $150 for the job. It has a holding vault, which was used to store caskets when weather conditions prevented immediate burial.

Daniel Decatur Emmett - (1815-1904) Emmett was the composer of the famous song "Dixie." He is generally regarded as the father of the American Minstrel Show.

William C. Cooper - (1832-1902) A prominent lawyer, Cooper was the Knox County Prosecuting Attorney in 1858 and 1860. He served as Mayor in 1860 and 1862. In 1877, he was appointed Judge Advocate General of the State of Ohio.

Gilman Bryant - (1784-1859) Bryant was one of the early pioneers of Knox County. His early trading was mostly with the Indians and he was the first merchant, the first postmaster, the first recorder of deeds of Knox County, built the first frame house and also the first brick dwelling in Mount Vernon, and married the daughter of the first minister of the Gospel to settle in Knox County. His father was a cousin of William Cullen Bryant, the poet.

Dr. Jonathan Nash Burr - (1800-1889) Burr was one of the early doctors of Mount Vernon and helped established St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church.

Zarah Curtis - (1761-1849) A Revolutionary War Soldier, Curtis served for five years until the end of the War. During his later years, he was an Elder and Minister.

Hosmer Curtis - (1788-1874) A prominent lawyer, Curtis came to Mount Vernon in 1815 and held many important offices (both local and state) during his lifetime. He was regarded as the "father of the bar."

Henry B. Curtis - (1799-1885) Henry B. Curtis was the brother of Hosmer and also a notable lawyer. His home was the Curtis Mansion, also known as Round Hill. He assisted in the choosing of the location of Kenyon College and also built the Curtis House Hotel.

Curtis Underground Vault - This vault is located entirely underground, and there are several family members buried in crypts there. Rumor says that the underground vault was used to hide runaway slaves and tunnels connected it to the Curtis Mansion at Round Hill.

J. B. Brown, Esq. Brown was the pioneer jeweler of Mount Vernon. He served two terms as Mayor and had started his third just before his death. He opened his first establishment in Mount Vernon in 1826. (No tombstone)

Rollin C. Hurd - (1815 - 1874) Hurd was a prominent lawyer and Judge of the Common Pleas Court. He served as the President of the Cleveland, Mount Vernon, and Columbus Railroad, and was very instrumental in its completion. (No tombstone)

Daniel S. Norton - Norton set up the first carding machines west of the Alleghany Mountains and was elected to the State Senate in 1825. He contributed liberally to the establishment of Kenyon College.

W. B. Brown - (1832-1918) Brown served as Mayor of Mount Vernon for two terms. He was the son of J.B. Brown and a jeweler, like his father.

Fred S. Hayes - (1899-1985) Hayes was a sportswriter for the Mount Vernon News, and was also one of the first to organize a teenage baseball league. He was a great fan of Mount Vernon High School and Ohio State University sports.

Honorable Columbus Delano - (1809-1896) Delano was the Prosecuting Attorney of Knox County. He was a delegate to the National Convention which nominated Lincoln for President, was appointed Commissary General of Ohio, elected to the House of Representatives, member of the 29th, 39th and 40th Congresses, appointed Commissioner of Internal Revenue by President Grant, and received an appointment as Secretary of the Interior. The Mount Vernon Nazarene College Administration Building used to be his home, Lakehome.

Mound - According to Guy VanNostrand, the Adena Indians, who lived in this part of Ohio from about 1000 B.C. to 200 A.D, probably built this mound. Opened in 1845 by Aaron Loveridge, one skeleton of an Indian was found in a sandstone tomb at the original ground level. On July 30, 1894, James W. Hall and another Mound View Cemetery sexton were digging a grave for Henry G. Cooper on the edge of the mound. They dug into a grave that contained the remains of an Indian, an iron tomahawk-pipe, a copper breastplate, a copper bracelet and a shell necklace. It was the custom of most Indian tribes to bury personal belongings with their dead, especially a chief or person of rank in a tribe. A Delaware Chief named Sac-A-Manc was killed near Mount Vernon around 1812, and it is possible that members of his tribe could have buried him in the Mound View Mound.

Robert C. Kirk - (1821-1898) Kirk was a member of the Ohio State Senate, served two terms as Lieutenant Governor, received an appointment from President Lincoln to be Minister to the Argentine Republic, and was appointed Collector of Internal Revenue for the 13th District by President Grant. He once owned the home that is now the Dowds-Snyder Funeral Home. (No tombstone)

James H. Debes - Debes was the "first real engineer" the Cooper Company ever had. He helped his brother-in-law build Hiawatha Park, the famed entertainment center once located on the site of the present Knox County Fairgrounds.

Charles Cooper - (1811-1901) Cooper was the senior member of the C & G Cooper Company, the forerunner of Cooper Energy Services. He started the business in 1834.

Gen. George W. Morgan - (1820-1893) Morgan first came to Mount Vernon in 1843. He had a very distinguished military career, serving in the Texas War of Independence, the Mexican War, and the Civil War. Morgan also served as Knox County Prosecutor, was the U.S. Consul at Marseilles, France, and was the American Minister to Portugal when the Civil War broke out.

Beatty B. Williams - (1876-1970) Williams was president and general manager of the Cooper Bessemer Company for many years. He was founder of the Mount Vernon Community Trust in 1944, helped establish the first YMCA in Mount Vernon in 1907, was president of the National Council of the YMCA in 1935 and 1936, and a member of the World Committee and delegate at the YMCA World Conference in 1926. He was also one of the founders of the Mount Vernon Country Club.

Dr. Ralph W. Sockman - (1889 1970) Sockman was one of the nation's foremost preachers and ministers. He had a long career as pastor, radio speaker and lecturer, and was the Pastor of Emeritus of Christ Methodist Church of New York City for over 44 years.

Dick Shuff - (1930-1980) Shuff was considered one of the best football players ever to play for Mount Vernon High School. He was also a standout basketball player and a member of the track team. His monument has the image of a football player cut into it.

Clarence W. (Cooney) Curran - (1909-1967) Curran was best known as the city's foremost baseball and softball umpire. He aided Carl E. Robinson in organizing the city's Little League and Babe Ruth programs.

Carl E. Robinson - (1919-1981) Robinson organized the Babe Ruth and Little League baseball in Mount Vernon and built Lamb Park. He also served on the Board of Big Brothers and Big Sisters when it was first organized.

Mausoleum - The mausoleum was erected in 1924. It is privately owned. Tree Monument - This unusual monument marks the burial place of Henry L. (1893-1934) and Jeanette (1848-1926) Bucher.

Ransom Vault - This mausoleum was built by the Ransom Family, prominent bricklayers in Mount Vernon. Mr. Robert Ransom said he believed his father, Harry, and his grandfather, Oscar, did the actual work. There were 16 catacombs built, of which 9 have been used.

Lady Monument - This life-size monument marks the burial places of James (1865-1950), Mina (1872-1930) and Ruth J. (1898 - 1912) Stinemetz. It has been damaged over the years by vandals, but is still a very beautiful monument.

John S. Ringwalt - (1838-1907) Ringwalt was a dry goods merchant and opened the first store on May 10, 1873 in partnership with Mr. Henry W. Jennings. On January 1, 1880, Mr. Ringwalt bought out Mr. Jennings' interest and the store became Ringwalt's.

Eastern Star Section - This section is on the site of the former cemetery pond. It is only used for the burials of Eastern Star members. The "broken column" monument is the emblem of the uncertainty of life and that death is no respecter of persons. It stands for unshakable faith in eternal life through belief in the work of Christ.

This self-guided cemetery walking tour will give visitors to Mound View Cemetery a glimpse of Mount Vernon's remarkable past and the people that made history in this unique city.

IRS 990 Forms

Audits

  • 2008-2009 (underway, completion pending)
  • 2006-2007